In This Article
Paschimottanasana is considered the best for the back, abdomen, waist and lower leg muscles. By the practice of this asana, there is a very good and deep stretch on our back and lower thigh muscles.
We practice this asana sitting in the position of Dandasana. In this asana, we hold the toes or soles of our feet with our hands, due to which stretch is generated on the muscles of our back and the lower muscles of our thighs and they become healthy.
Although this action has many benefits for our body, while doing this asana, we should keep in mind the Paschimottanasana Contraindications and Precautions so that we can do this posture without getting damaged/hurt.
How to do Paschimottanasana steps with all variations for beginners.
Many new yoga practitioners think that this asana is easy to do and at the same time they also understand that we can do this posture in only one way but it is not like that at all, we can practice this asana with many different variations.
So in this article, we will discuss this topic in detail that how to do Paschimottanasana steps and how many variations are there and how a new practitioner can easily practice it.
We will tell you the practice of all the methods one by one in this article, but before that, we want to tell you that we will increase the difficulties of the asanas by first doing the easy methods, then the difficult.
Paschimottanasana steps with the first variation?
If your belly isn’t too big so you can easily practice this asana at the beginning itself.
This is the most comfortable way of Paschimottanasana and we will keep this asana at number one in our list.
1. To do this asana, first of all, sit in the position of Dandasana by laying a mat on a flat surface.
2. When you are sitting in the position of Dandasana, at that time you sit with your back, neck and waist straight.
3. Then you bend the knee of your right leg and place the sole of the right foot next to the left thigh.
4. Keep the soles of your right foot near your left thigh in such a way that the heel of your right foot does not touch the genitals.
5. Now while taking your torso forward with your hands, touch your chest with your knees or leg and try to hold the sole of the left foot with both your hands.
6. In the beginning, you may not be able to hold the soles of your feet with both your hands, but when you practice it regularly, your body’s flexibility will increase and you will be able to hold the soles of your feet.
7. Now do the same asana with the other leg means now you keep the soles of your left foot near the thigh of your right foot.
8. Now keep your right leg straight and while bending the body forward, hold the sole of the right foot with both your hands.
9. And now for a while, you stayed in the same posture and after some time you straighten your body by removing your hands from the soles of the feet and sit back in the position of Dandasana. Practice this with both your feet so that the balance of your body remains equal.
- So in this way you can practice the first variation of Paschimottanasana Steps. This is a simple exercise of this posture.
Paschimottanasana steps with the second variation?
This is the second way to do the Paschimottanasana, it is almost the same as the above method. The only difference is that we have to keep one of our hands on the back, if you want, you can keep both hands behind.
1. To practice this asana, you must first come in the position of Dandasana.
2. And then keep your neck back and waist straight and sit in the same position.
3. Now bend the knee of your left leg and place the sole of the left foot near the place of the right foot. And take care that the heel of your left foot should not touch the genitals.
4. Then you turn your body forward and hold the sole of your right foot with one hand. When you feel that you can keep your leg straight without the help of hands, then you can keep both your hands behind.
5. Now you keep your body stable in this posture for a while and after a while removing your hand, straighten your body and come back to normal position.
6. Now practice this asana with the other leg as we did in the earlier method. Now bend your right knee and place the sole of the right foot near the thigh of the left foot.
7. And now as we just told you, similarly practice this asana with this leg as well.
- If you want, you can practice it by straightening both the legs together and keep both your hands behind.
Paschimottanasana steps with the third variation?
When we talk about Paschimottanasana, the image of this posture is formed in our minds. This is an ideal method of Paschimottanasana And most people practice this asana only.
1. For the practice of this asana also, you must first sit in the position of Dandasana at someplace.
2. After sitting in the position of Dandasana, straighten your neck, back and waist.
3. Then, while filling your breath, move your torso forward and hold the toes/soles of both feet with both your hands.
4. And slowly try to pull your body forward by putting force on your feet with your hands.
5. In the beginning, naturally pull your body forward, if you forcefully pull your body, it can cause problems in your back.
6. Then you keep your body stable in the same way for some time. And when you are not able to keep the body stable, then by removing your hands from the toes of the feet, bring your body to the normal position.
7. When you keep your body stable in this asana or when you are doing this asana, in both situations, allow the speed of your breathing to run normally.
8. You should practice this only when you have practiced both the above asanas properly.
- So this was the third variation of Paschimottanasana steps. This is an ideal way to do Paschimottanasana.
Paschimottanasana steps with the fourth variation?
You can consider this asana as an advance of the third variation. Because in this we pull our body very much forward and we bend in it by bringing our elbows near the soles of the feet.
1. To do this asana, first of all, sit with your legs forward, which means sit in the position of Dandasana.
2. After sitting in this position, you straighten your neck, back and waist.
3. Then, while filling your breath, slowly bend your body forward. And bend your body so much that your forehead comes near your toes as shown in the above image.
4. Raising your hands, bring them near your feet and hold the elbows of both hands together near the soles of your feet.
5. Now keep your body stable in this posture for some time. And as long as you have kept your body stable in this posture, your breathing should continue as normal.
6. After keeping your body stable for some time, now you come to the normal position by removing your hands from the soles of your feet and by straightening your body.
7. In this posture, there will be a lot of strain on your lower back and in fact on the whole back, so you should practice this posture only when you have practiced the third variation well.
- In this way you can practice the fourth variation of Paschimottanasana Steps.
Paschimottanasana steps with the fifth variation?
You can consider this variation of Paschimottanasana as the most difficult because in this posture we have to hold the toes of the right or left foot from our side. So let’s know how we can easily do this variation.
1. To practice this asana, first of all, sit in the position of Dandasana.
2. After sitting in the position of Dandasana, now bend the knee of your left leg and place the sole of the left foot near the right thigh.
3. Now the leg you have kept straight Like in this case, we have kept our right leg straight, now you turn the right leg to the right.
4. And keep your right foot on the right side so that even after keeping that foot on the right side, your face remains in front.
5. Now turn your body (torso) to the right. And while turning to the right, keep your face towards the front and then while raising your left hand, bring it to the right side and hold the toes of your right foot.
6. At this time all the stretch will be on your left armpit and all the pressure will be generated on your right waist.
7. Now in the same way, keep your body stable for some time in this posture and after a while removing your left hand from the toes of the right foot, straighten the body and come back to normal position.
8. Now you do this posture by keeping the other leg straight, that means now you keep the soles of the right foot near the left thigh and straighten the left leg.
9. Then in the same way keep your left foot to the left. Now turn your body (torso) to the left and hold the toes of the left foot with the right hand.
10. At this time all the stretch will be on our right armpit and all the pressure will be generated on our left waist.
11. Whenever you practice this asana, you must practice from both sides at once, do not do it from only one side. Practicing from both sides will keep your body in balance.
- So in this way you can practice fifth variation of Paschimottanasana Steps, you start this exercise only when you have practiced the above four methods well and if still you practice it in the beginning itself Then you must practice Ardha Katichkrasana a few days before its practice.