By the practice of Suryabhedan Pranayama, the breath is inhaled from the right nostril and the breath is exhaled from the left nostril. The practice of Suryabhedan Pranayama generates heat in our body. So let us know how we can practice this pranayama and also discuss about Surya Bhedana Pranayama benefits and what precautions we should keep in mind while doing this asana.
In This Article
What is the meaning of Surya Bhedana Pranayam?
Suryabhedana This is a Sanskrit word, although according to Sanskrit, Surya means Sun, but in this pranayama, the meaning of Surya is Pingala Nadi and the meaning of Bhedana is to pass through a place, and Pranayama means control over your life. So this was the literal meaning of Suryabhedan Pranayama.
How to do Surya Bhedana Pranayama?
First, we will discuss the method of this exercise and after that, we will discuss other topics such as Surya bhedana Pranayama benefits and its precautions.
1. For its practice, we will sit in this comfortable posture such as Ardha Padmasana, Sukhasana, Siddhasana you can decide according to yourself.
2. Place your hands comfortably on your knees or in Gyan Mudra.
3. Both the elbows will be loosely connected, close your eyes softly and keep your face loose.
4. Will make Nasagra Mudra of your right hand, bend the first two fingers, keep both the fingers of the last straight and the thumb out.
5. Take the right hand near your nose, take a long breath and exhale completely.
6. The ring finger will close the left nostril and inhale from the right side, after inhaling, close the right nostril, while removing the ring finger, exhale from the left side.
7. After exhaling, close the left nostril, open the right nostril, inhale and then close the right nostril and exhale from the left side.
8. During the practice, keep all the attention focused on the breath, normally practice it.
9. Practice this from 8 to 10 times in the first week, from 12 to 15 times in the second week, from 15 to 20 times in the third week.
What is the right time and place to practice Surya Bhedana Pranayam?
1. The best time to do this pranayama is in the morning because the temperature of our environment is normal at that time.
2. If you live in a place where it is hot, then you try not to practice this pranayama, you can practice Anulom Vilom Pranayama instead.
3. Practicing this pranayama in a cold windy area is more beneficial.
Benefits of Surya Bhedana Pranayama (right nostril breathing).
We have told you how you can practice Suryabhedan Pranayama, now let’s discuss about the Surya bhedana Pranayama benefits.
1. The practice of Suryabhedan is especially beneficial for balancing the diseases of Vata nature or Vata.
2. Its practice produces heat, low blood pressure, joint pain, pain in various parts of the body, in all these problems, the practice of this pranayama is beneficial.
3. The practice of this pranayama proves beneficial even if there is physical weakness.
4. Along with physical stress, this pranayama also benefits in reducing mental stress.
5. The practice of Suryabhedan helps to move in the field of spirituality.
6. The practice of this pranayama improves our digestive system and provides relief in problems related to digestion.
7. The vital force can be awakened by the practice of Suryabhedan Pranayama.
8. Its practice has a positive effect on the physical level and mental level, due to which the productivity of our body also increases.
9. Although there are many benefits of Surya bhedana Pranayama, but it proves to be very helpful to protect us from cough and cold.
What are the Precautions of Surya Bhedana Pranayama?
We have discussed a lot about Suryabhedan Pranayama like how can we do this pranayama, Surya Bhedana Pranayama benefits and at what time this pranayama should be done, now we will discuss its precautions.
1. People of Pitta nature should not practice Suryabhedan Pranayama.
2. If you are suffering from high blood pressure in this problem you should not practice this pranayama.
3. If more heat is generated in your body then you should not practice this pranayama because as we told you at the beginning itself that this pranayama increases the heat in our body which will not be right for you.
How do Surya Bhedana cure cough and cold?
Before knowing how we can get relief from cough or cold with the practice of this Surya bhedana Pranayama, we need to know why we get cough and cold and what is the main reason behind it.
The reason behind cough and cold:-
We get cough or cold mainly in two ways.
1. Through infections/germs.
2. Due to cold or because of consuming more cold things.
How do cure cough and cold due to Infection/germs?
As we have already told you that by the practice of Suryabhedan Pranayama, the heat in our body increases and the infections formed in our body ends due to heat, this is a scientific reason.
How do cure cough and cold due to cold?
This was how the cough and cold caused by infection can be cured by the practice of Suryabhedan Pranayama, even if we have a cough due to a cold, we can still cure it with the practice of Suryabhedan in that too Suryabhedan is something similar.
If I explain to you by example, if we follow the doctor’s advice at the time of cough and cold, then they say that we should consume hot things like hot water, tea, coffee, etc. because the consumption of hot things will kill the infection. And our cough and cold gradually get cured, similarly when the heat in our body increases, then gradually our cough and cold also get cured.
Should pregnant woman practice Surya Bhedana Pranayama?
If you are a pregnant woman and you want to practice this pranayama, then you should not practice Suryabhedan Pranayama because your body temperature is high in pregnancy which means your body remains mostly warm.
This usually happens because due to certain hormones in your body in that state, the metabolism in your body increases due to which you start sweating more and getting more heat and the practice of Suryabhedan Pranayama increases the heat in our body, It is not good for the health of the woman and her child, you can practice Anulom Vilom Pranayama instead of Surya Bhedana Pranayama.
Can we practice Surya Bhedana Pranayama after eating food?
There will be a question in the mind of many people that can we do this pranayama after eating food, then if I answer it clearly the answer is no, you should never do this pranayama after eating food because our body temperature rises after having food and as we have told you earlier that this pranayama especially raises our temperature, so if you practice this pranayama after eating food, it will cause more heat in your body.
If you still want to practice any yoga asana after eating food then you can practice only Vajrasana.